It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:45 am Advanced search

QPR v Rotherham

Unofficial message board for all things QPR - Queens Park Rangers FC.

Re: QPR v Rotherham

Postby kingfisher » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:52 am

northwesthoop wrote:Sylla comes in for Washington. Ngbakoto also starts in place of Wszolek. Suprised he changed it after a great performance last week but it worked last time. Fancy Sylla to score first now! Damn.

It was interesting to see in the shooting practise before the game that both Washington & Wszolek were clinically accurate; whereas Sylla & Ngbakoto (plus Luongo and Smith to a lesser extent) were all over the shop! My immediate thought was that Ollie had removed the best to rest them and to play those in need of game time.

Quickfire comments on the game:
- Rotherham worked hard to dominate the midfield but Luongo, Hall & Freeman were their equal, except in the air.
- In defence we were solid, with the 2+1 CBs covering well and Bidwell & Furlong surging forward to offer alternatives (although for some reason Bidwell never gets fed by Lynch or used by Ngbakoto)
- In attack there was none of the Washington surges at the defenders/goalie and Smith's heading on of the ball was usually missed by Sylla (not a good pairing still); Ngbakoto continues to frustrate me as he is obviously a skillful players but he sits in holes when defending and close to his marker when we are attacking - i.e. the opposite of what is required, and he is still scared of holding onto the ball; Freeman was great breaking forward and setting up others; and I must mention the surging run forward by Onuoha who gave up looking for support and went the whole way himself!
- Finally, the goals. There's may have been the best, but Smith's opener was class and Luongo rising above all others to head (yes 'head') in his first goal left everyone checking the scoreboard to confirm it really was #21 that had scored! In the past QPR have been criticised for failing to be clinical in beating their opponents. This was not the case against Rotherham, who even though they are relegated they played and defended hard.
Hoops are coming home, coming home!
kingfisher
Dennis Bailey

Postby pamment8 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Let's play devils advocate.
There goal was the best agreed.
Clinical in front of goal our first was poor goal keeping and the others bad defending.
ROTHERHAM have not beaten us at home since 1951.
They have terrible defensive record.
But we got 3 points and marked time in league.
Our manager was not happy. :tu
pamment8
Champion of Europe

Postby singlespeed » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:02 pm

Pamment remember Vauxhall motors
This was the type of game we normally lose
I agree we made them pay for poor defending and we didn't have to be that good
But we're on 50 points now and were on a good run at the moment
I'm looking forward to next season and see if Ollie can work his magic
singlespeed
Premiership Winner

Postby kingfisher » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:33 am

singlespeed wrote:...I'm looking forward to next season and see if Ollie can work his magic

I think Ollie has already worked the magic! Under JFH we were fitter but easy to read and defend against. Ollie has instilled self-belief and a better strategy that the squad (in general) is holding too. So I am saying you have to give Ollie credit for this season!

Pamm is right that most of the goals were the result of poor marking/defending (including their excellent shot), but we should not forget that in the past we have let superiority replace goals. This was a more polished performance. I was particularly impressed to see how Goss fitted in so well, allowing Onuoha to move forward and stay up to eventually score.

On another note, having enjoyed the full 90 minutes again, but on video this time, I am at a loss as to why Ngbakoto was considered MotM by the commentary team. They can only have been forgetting his 1st half performance because he was (as before) a liability clearing in front of our goal; slow to make space or take on players when attacking; and seems terrified of getting tackled. He has improved over the games, and had a decent 2nd Half, but I feel Wzsolek is a far superior alternative and Morrison may become one too.
Hoops are coming home, coming home!
kingfisher
Dennis Bailey

Postby singlespeed » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:03 am

Ollie has also made some decent signings that have made the difference too
Smith,goss and especially freeman
singlespeed
Premiership Winner

Postby pamment8 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:19 am

Next season does look better indeed.
Should only need couple of new players.
And a good clear out of some.
And won't need to reference past seasons excuses.
ie he needs his own player's or he needs full pre season etc. :tu
pamment8
Champion of Europe

Previous

Return to R's Chat