It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:16 pm Advanced search

QPR V CARDIFF 2-1 FT

Unofficial message board for all things QPR - Queens Park Rangers FC.

Re: QPR V CARDIFF 2-1 FT

Postby Cokes » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:15 pm

There was a minutes applause, before the match, for all the league cup winning team members who've passed away.
The Cardiff fans were excellent and all joined in too. Literally every one of their fans was clapping.
I know they do have some idiots in their ranks but yesterday was a pleasent surprise.
Cokes
tax dodging student on YTS contract

Re: QPR V CARDIFF

Postby kingfisher » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:12 pm

northwesthoop wrote:...Plus you'll get to bag a free Kick Up The R's on offer tomorrow. 3 points a bonus!

Yup did indeed get a free copy of AKUTRs and has been good reading so far! :wink

No match report posted so will just give a few comments:
Neil Warnock was given a warm reception, as was Matt Connolly, but not Junior Hoilett;
Goss played in Manning's role but was less effective;
Luongo struggled to gain any momentum in the disjointed midfield game played;
Mackie was either off pace (!) or being asked to play a tighter game as he seemed a lot less effective. (I am wondering if Ollie had restricted movement for the midfielders in general to counter Cardiff incursions...);
Perch played instead of Furlong and even he struggled against Cardiff's onslaught on that wing;
The subs all made a difference, either in playing better than the starter or in altering the strategy, and cannot help thinking we should have played them from the start;
Yet again we had a blinkered ref who punished minor fouls but missed bigger ones, and usually to the favour of Cardiff;
The Cardiff goal was waiting to happen as, after another great start, QPR started to buckle under the constant pressure. Yet again it was 'ping-pong' footer as the midfield was constant high balls & headers;
and all 3 goals were good ones;
MotM? - Could have been Lynch (except he made one bloomer); possibly Onuoha or Smithies or Bidwell for good defending, but I feel Washington just about shaved it (he also got Player of the Month awarded for February).
Finally, it was not an entertaining game in so much as the focus by both teams to flood the midfield and play through the centre led to 'ping-pong' footer, but the goals and (more importantly) the result were good! A hard-fought, narrow win for me! :wink
Hoops are coming home, coming home!
kingfisher
Dennis Bailey

Postby northwesthoop » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:00 pm

Cheers kingfisher, the 'Just Back' threads have dried up so good to have that feedback.

Ngbakoto obviously played a part in both goals, nearly scored a free kick and netted against Brum a fortnight ago too...so my question is...do you think he is pushing for a start/deserves a start?
I've Got Blue And White Hooped Blood
northwesthoop
Gigantic Gerry

Postby pamment8 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:04 pm

Amazed no mention of YENI has come on leaps and bounds.
Even OLLIE delighted with his approach. :tu
pamment8
Champion of Europe

Postby Rick » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:17 am

Smith and Washington are looking like a proper centre forward pairing. Both worked really hard and looked dangerous. Washington has come on in leaps and bounds recently. I m hopeful that next season both of them will really start to shine.
I actually enjoyed the game, esp the second half. I was surprised Yeni came on but he made a massive difference.
Mackie and Luongu both had poor games but the rest played well I thought.
Good win and great atmosphere second half
Rick
Leroy Griffiths

Postby kingfisher » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:04 pm

northwesthoop wrote:Cheers kingfisher, the 'Just Back' threads have dried up so good to have that feedback.

Ngbakoto obviously played a part in both goals, nearly scored a free kick and netted against Brum a fortnight ago too...so my question is...do you think he is pushing for a start/deserves a start?

Should Ngbakoto start....? Tricky one! He has certainly improved NWHoop in terms of effort and pace, but recently I have noticed he is not taking on players as he originally did. Instead he is looking to offload the ball as soon as he can, which makes me think he is now more fearful of getting fouled (certainly cannot be that he is worried about maintaining possession). He is certainly an asset, so having said all that my recommendation (if Ollie comes asking) is only to start Ngbakoto against team that like to play free-flowing football, rather than the more physical sides. Make sense?

Rick wrote: Smith and Washington are looking like a proper centre forward pairing. Both worked really hard and looked dangerous. Washington has come on in leaps and bounds recently. I m hopeful that next season both of them will really start to shine. I actually enjoyed the game, esp the second half. I was surprised Yeni came on but he made a massive difference.
Mackie and Luongu both had poor games but the rest played well I thought. Good win and great atmosphere second half.

I agree re the 'dynamic duo' Rick but I am hoping for more of the same this season! :wink You are also right about the atmosphere there. It was great to have the Cardiff fans getting involved too in all the commemorations, and the 10 minute tribute to Stan was well supported by the home supporters too. Onward and upwards now!
kingfisher
Dennis Bailey

Postby northwesthoop » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:33 pm

kingfisher wrote:Should Ngbakoto start....? Tricky one! He has certainly improved NWHoop in terms of effort and pace, but recently I have noticed he is not taking on players as he originally did. Instead he is looking to offload the ball as soon as he can, which makes me think he is now more fearful of getting fouled (certainly cannot be that he is worried about maintaining possession). He is certainly an asset, so having said all that my recommendation (if Ollie comes asking) is only to start Ngbakoto against team that like to play free-flowing football, rather than the more physical sides. Make sense?

Yeah, I get you. He is clearly still trying to find his confidence and still adjusting to the English game. But all heading in the right direction it seems. He seems to have a smile on his face too which helps.
northwesthoop
Gigantic Gerry

Postby surrey chad » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:37 pm

northwesthoop wrote:
kingfisher wrote:Should Ngbakoto start....? Tricky one! He has certainly improved NWHoop in terms of effort and pace, but recently I have noticed he is not taking on players as he originally did. Instead he is looking to offload the ball as soon as he can, which makes me think he is now more fearful of getting fouled (certainly cannot be that he is worried about maintaining possession). He is certainly an asset, so having said all that my recommendation (if Ollie comes asking) is only to start Ngbakoto against team that like to play free-flowing football, rather than the more physical sides. Make sense?

Yeah, I get you. He is clearly still trying to find his confidence and still adjusting to the English game. But all heading in the right direction it seems. He seems to have a smile on his face too which helps.

also agree, As its been said, the poor bloke had a rough start to his time with us with bereavement, injuries etc. For me he is currently an excellent impact sub but I can see next year that he will be starting one side with freeman / woscleck the other giving us pace down either side and hopefully protecting the wing backs. Holloway will want him running box to box and what I read / saw on youtube that is the type of player he is.
Supporting QPR is for life not just for Play Off finals
surrey chad
Super Stainrod

Postby Rick » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:04 pm

Take the point about this season, but we just might have an exciting team next season. One that can really have a punt at the playoffs.
Rick
Leroy Griffiths

Postby kingfisher » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:29 pm

Rick wrote:Take the point about this season, but we just might have an exciting team next season. One that can really have a punt at the playoffs.

Wouldn't be a Hoops supporter if we were not optimistic (or is it fatalistic)! :wink
Reading the Loft For Words report this morning (which mirrored pretty much what we all said) there was an interesting extra comment. They mentioned that every time Ravel Morrison jumped for the ball it was his bum that hit the opponent (rather than winning the header). Having checked the video today - they are right! He got a great reception when he appeared as a sub but obviously seriously out of condition still... :bumbed
kingfisher
Dennis Bailey

Postby surrey chad » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:33 pm

kingfisher wrote:
Rick wrote:Take the point about this season, but we just might have an exciting team next season. One that can really have a punt at the playoffs.

Wouldn't be a Hoops supporter if we were not optimistic (or is it fatalistic)! :wink
Reading the Loft For Words report this morning (which mirrored pretty much what we all said) there was an interesting extra comment. They mentioned that every time Ravel Morrison jumped for the ball it was his bum that hit the opponent (rather than winning the header). Having checked the video today - they are right! He got a great reception when he appeared as a sub but obviously seriously out of condition still... :bumbed

We were saying that at the game, it was more a tactic to put players off rather than going for the ball. Was wondering if it was because he knows he cant get enough height to win the ball?
surrey chad
Super Stainrod

Postby Rick » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:49 pm

Yeh he looked well off the pace. Did one nice pass right at the end but otherwise he might as well have not been on the pitch
Rick
Leroy Griffiths

Postby surrey chad » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:07 am

Does anyone know how much he played at Lazio? Could be that eh hasn't played in months.
surrey chad
Super Stainrod

Postby northwesthoop » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:50 am

surrey chad wrote:Does anyone know how much he played at Lazio? Could be that eh hasn't played in months.

More like years than months!

He only made 4 sub appearances in the league for Lazio.

He was on loan at Cardiff at the end of 2014 and made 1 start and 6 sub appearances. He made 2 appearances for West Ham too in 2014.

Basically in between his loans with us - a period of over 2 1/2 years don't forget - he has been involved in 13 competitive games. Taarabt-esque!
northwesthoop
Gigantic Gerry

Postby kingfisher » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:51 pm

northwesthoop wrote:...Basically in between his loans with us - a period of over 2 1/2 years don't forget - he has been involved in 13 competitive games. Taarabt-esque!

Worse than I thought and really is a leap of faith by the club! I hope it works out (for all parties involved)!!
kingfisher
Dennis Bailey

Previous

Return to R's Chat